Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

I LOVE Jodi Picoult. I try to read her latest book as soon as it is available, and I have to say this one did not disappoint.  However, after reading her books for so many years, I have to admit I figured out the ending before I was even halfway through the book...not a bad thing though. I was surprised when she made a sharp turn in the book within the first 100 pages, but then again, if I had read the Cataloging in Publication (CIP) information on the title verso page (yes, you can tell I'm a librarian!) I would have seen this turn. Now, when I am recommending this book I will tell the prospective reader about the sharp turn, but I would NEVER tell them to read the CIP to find out about this twist. I truly believe it would ruin the story for some readers.

I can not say how much I loved this book.  I have also been reading Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It by Kelly Gallagher. In this wonderful book, Gallagher talks about reading flow. The way a reader can simply fall into a book and get lost. When readers are in this flow reading they have no concept of time or what is going on around them. Gallagher says too many students can not get into this flow because they are constantly being stopped in order to analyze the author's intent and not allowed to simply enjoy the story.

I was completely enveloped in the reading flow while reading Sing You Home. I would get so lost in the reading I had no idea two or three hours had flown by. I love when I am so engrossed in a book and the characters that I do not want the story to end. I want to know what happens to the characters after page 466. Give me more. You know you have found a wonderful author when you simply can not get enough of their writing.

Happy Reading.

No comments: