Saturday, March 19, 2011

Books to Movies

I went to the movies with my wonderful son yesterday. We had both been wanting to see The Adjustment Bureau, so we decided to go together, especially since my darling husband can't stand suspense movies. I LOVE them...the more on the edge of your seat, the BETTER!!

Now every time I go to the movies I watch the trailers very carefully. If one peeks my interest I immediately try to read the VERY fine print to see if the movie is based on a book. That is exactly what happened yesterday. We were sitting there watching the trailers and I see Matthew McConaughey come up on the screen. Don't get me wrong, I am very interested in the movie, but now that I see who is starring in the movie I am even more interested in the book. You see, whenever I hear a book is being made into a movie, I have to read the book FIRST.


I have heard of people going to see the movie before reading the book. I have even heard of people reading half of the book, going to the movie then reading the end of the book afterward. This never really makes any sense to me. If the book came first the author had a plan. They had a certain person in mind when creating each character. I want to see the setting and characters in my own movie, the one in my head before I see what the silver screen has imagined for everyone else. I will admit there have been times when the casting director has selected a much better looking character for the movie than I have (or in the case of Mr. McConaughey, SO much better...glad I caught the trailer before I got the book...more later) envisioned. Another case in point, Michael C. Hall, the ever loveable serial killer, Dexter Morgan, created by the talented Jeff Lindsay. I will be honest. I had read t least two of the Dexter books before the series premiered. The character I had in my head really was nothing like MUCH. He IS Dexter now and whenever a new Dexter book comes out I use the TV characters in my head to created what I am reading on the page. I can't wait for the next book...and season.

Now, back to Matthew. Like I said, as soon as I see him on the screen I begin to look for signs that this was first a book. Now that I remember, I believe the trailer actually opens with something about the book, maybe the author, Michael Connelly's name. Oh well it doesn't really matter...the important things are discovered...book, Matthew, lawyers, suspense, movie!

Okay, now for the obsessive part...as we are sitting int the movie theater watching the trailers (after Matthew has left the screen, of course) I go to my G2 browser, open the Webpage for our local public library, and attempt to put the book on hold. YES! While we are sitting in the movie theater!!! Now I was not very successful because I guess everyone else in the theater beat me to it! All copies were already in use or on hold. I couldn't believe it! What bad luck.

Well, I stopped browsing the library catalog for other reads, my son was mortified...but I was doing research! I guess it doesn't matter what your hobbies or profession, you should NOT browse the library catalog online while sitting in a dark movie theater. I know for a fact it was dark. So dark that I could not read the numbers off my library card so I could put the book on hold before the late comers to the movie found out and wanted The Lincoln Lawyer for themselves.

Like I said, I stopped browsing and watched the movie...no more books into movies trailers no need, right? Any way the movie was great, very enjoyable, suspenseful, and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with my son.

When the movie was over we were supposed to pick up my hardworking husband, but he was still working hard. He graciously told us to go to the nearby bookstore and buy whatever we wanted (I know I heard him say that, he INSISTS he did not!). Well, I wanted Matthew McConaughey, so I went upstairs to look for Mr. Connelly's novel. The book angels were smiling down on me because I found the only copy! I sat down and started reading. I must have gotten lost in the pages because all of a sudden my dear, sweet, loving husband was calling me asking where in the world we were. When I told him we were in the book store he told us to run out quickly before all of his hard erred money decided to stay. Shhhhhhh, don't tell him...some of it stayed. I could walk out of there without that book! Are you kidding me? The book angels had been so good to me and directed me right to the spot I need to be to locate this book. It was calling to me. I could not simply walk away! If I didn't show my gratitude, the little angels might not be so helpful next time. I just couldn't have them crying down tears of sadness in the bookstore...it might damage the books, and water damaged books are not something to laugh at (the smell, the mold, the...., you get the picture). So anyway I ran up to the register and quickly paid for the book I had already placed my very own bookmark in so I would know where I stopped reading. It is always wise to carry an extra bookmark, you never know when you might have a reading emergency!

I think this is more than enough blogging. I need to go back and see what Matthew (I mean Mickey) is going to get into next.

And always remember...
Never judge a book by its movie.  ~J.W. Eagan

No comments: