Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Kindergarten Rules

I don't remember a time in my life when I did not want to be a teacher. I always played school. There was never a doubt in my mind that I would grow up to be a teacher, and that is exactly what I did! I followed in my grandmother's and my mother's footsteps in not only becoming a teacher, but becoming a kindergarten teacher. I taught kindergarten for six years before becoming a librarian for pre-kindergarten students ~ still a teacher, with a bigger classroom, lots of books, and ALL of the students in the school!

I loved teaching kindergarten. I loved the bright shining faces and loving smiles of my students. They were always so eager to learn and open to the excitement of discovery. When I moved to the library I was able to share my passion for books and reading with the teachers, the students, and their parents. I love connecting people with books. I love the challenge of locating a book based solely on the description the child can provide (it was blue and had a bear and the moon - for future reference - Mem Fox's Sleepy Bears). Being a bibliophile (loud and proud) the exhilaration of being surrounded by books just can't be beat.

Loving pre-k and kindergarten as I do, I am always searching for books on this grade level. My school is specifically for pre-k students. It is the only grade level on our campus. My library is for four to five-year olds and all of the teachers teach the same grade level. Yes, some may feel like they are going to pull their hair out just reading this description, but it is heaven to me. I love everything about it. So, although my students have all been to school for an entire year during the second semester of the school year there is always a little apprehension of moving to kindergarten. All of the children are taken on a field trip to their "new" school in May. They are invited to visit the different kindergarten classrooms and see what they will be doing next year by visiting the gym, cafeteria, music and art teachers, and of course the library!

The Day My Mom Came to Kindergarten
by Maureen Fergus
When I discovered The Day My Mom Came to Kindergarten by Maureen Fergus I knew it would be a great addition to my library collection. The story is narrated by the daughter of the mom visiting the kindergarten classroom. The little girl invites her mom to visit her class, but soon discovers she is having to help her mother follow the rules. The "basics" of the classroom, such as raise your hand, use an indoor voice, and follow instructions are just a few of the rules mom has difficulty with during her day in kindergarten. 

This is a very humorous way to show children who are entering or in kindergarten how difficult it can be to follow all of the rules, even for an adult. By seeing the mother being corrected by the little girl it can help the children to remember how they are to act and behave in school. Mrs. Beaudry, the teacher, makes a very important observation that is really the key to the entire book, "Sometimes it takes a while to get comfortable with something new."

Not only is this a great book to share with children on the first day of school, but also a great reminder for students who are welcoming a new students to their classroom any time during the school year. I would recommend this title for early childhood and elementary school libraries and public libraries with a children's collection. I know it will be a great book for parents to share with their children prior to the start of school so they can share a laugh together while learning that kindergarten rules ~ and HAS rules too.

*To comply with new guidelines introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, Kids Can Press has provided a complimentary electronic copy of this book through NetGalley.com.

No comments: