Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I HATE Picture Books

Okay, hold on...don't stop reading my blog because I used the title of a new children's picture book as the title of this post! I do, in fact LOVE picture books, and hopefully after reading today's review you will LOVE this book, just like me.

I Hate Picture Books!
by Timothy Young
When I first saw the title of this book, I did a double take. On second glance I felt certain the author / illustrator was going to provide a twist. I mean, look at all of the wonderful picture books on the cover! How could you NOT love all of these great classics? As you picture walk through this wonderful story you will not come to a page you can quickly identify the characters and books to which he (the main character) is referring.

In a humorously clever manner, Mr. Young, conveys what a number of young readers have thought for years about eating green ham! I think this is my favorite part of the book. It made me laugh out loud when I got to it.

As a children's librarian I know all of the books pictured throughout, but I have to say it made my heart swell when I saw the book that he LOVES is one that I loved as a child. I have such fond memories of my mother reading "Are You My Mother?" to me when I was a child. It made me love this book even more.

Yes, on first glance you might think this is a book against picture books, but in reality it is a book all about the LOVE of picture books and reading. As you know, I have a deep passion for reading, books, and sharing this love. I think this is the perfect book to help non-readers become readers. It provides glimpses of books, or short book talks in a manner than might spark a young non-reader to want to see exactly what that book is all about.

I applaud you Mr. Young. Thank you for creating a book that will help to ignite the spark needed for some of our youngest to WANT to start to read.

I highly recommend this book for all libraries. I would also recommend this book for any parent who has young children, especially the non-readers. I think this just might be the book to help them get started.

*To comply with new guidelines introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. has provided a complimentary electronic copy of this book through NetGalley.com.



No comments: