Thursday, June 6, 2013

Peek-a-boo Monsters

Peek-a-boo Monsters
by Charles Reasoner


Peek-a-boo Monsters by Charles Reasoner will be released August 1st and is published by Capstone Young Readers.

I am reviewing an e-book version of this title. I will tell you upon first examination I was not really impressed with this title. However, upon further readings, and a little research, I have found this to be a bright, colorful, and fun rhyming book that will have toddlers begging for more.

This title will be published in a board book format. Each page has a cutout area in order for the reader to get a preview of a monster on the next page. This was not evident while reading the e-book version. When the book was scanned the cut out areas were covered and thus came out white. I can tell by flipping back and forth through the digital pages which monsters will appear in the cut out areas. 

The rhyming text will encourage toddlers to read, or even sing along. I have to say page nine is my favorite from an educators point of view because the talking monsters (using speech bubbles) identify themselves as short and tall. I think it would have been nice to include this information on other pages. It would enhance this fun book that doesn't necessarily tell a story, but is whimsical and can be used to discuss opposites.

For an early childhood school or public library with a board book collection, I believe this would be a recommended purchase. It can also be a fun addition to a toddlers home library.

*To comply with new guidelines introduced by the Federal Trade Commission,Capstone Press has provided a complimentary electronic copy of this book through NetGalley.com.

No comments: